Monday, October 27, 2008

"Where are we going to eat tonight, Mom?"



Our DIL is in Atlanta for a few days for work.  I have the week off for fall break at the school I'm a para at.  I picked up GS from daycare today, and had him and DS and DD over for supper.  When the food was almost ready, I heard the query from my son (in the dining room we put in a bedroom), wondering about the planned location for the meal.  Oops!  I forgot to take the plants off the table!  It got down to 32 last night, and tonight is supposed to get down to the lower 20s.

I need to move some plants from the garden window to other places to make room for my herbs.  Instead of doing that today, I had some errands I needed to run, and added a stop to one of my favorite used bookstores, and I guess my purchases ended up on the table as well.  I bought Cold Climate Gardening, by Rebecca Atwater Briccetti, because there's a blog by that name, Old Roses, by Roger Phillips and Martyn Rix, because I would like to try growing a couple roses if they don't require chemicals, and Practical Science for Gardeners, by Mary Pratt, because I want to understand botanical names better, and also because there is some useful looking information in it.  It looks like several rosemary plants, and an angel wing begonia.  


I'm not sure where I'll find a home for this mint geranium, but it sure does smell good!


I think I'm going to need to trim this angel wing begonia soon.


When we had this garden window put in a few years ago, I thought it was going to be bigger than what it was, and we were told we would be able to keep our original trim.  We didn't find out they weren't keeping it until the work started.  We still haven't stained the trim.  It's on the east side of the house.  We were also told it wouldn't increase the heat bill, but not that it would make the room cold.  Knowing all those things, I would have chosen triple instead of double glass.  I was worried about the sun not coming through to the plants, but now I get concerned because it gets down to the lower 50s in the window when it's very cold outside.


I have plants here and there in the house and garage.  I need to stay home tomorrow and find better places for them.  Some will go in the egress window well.  I also need to clean out the garage so I can put my car in there.  I also need to clean and organize the shelf in my kitchen where I have potatoes, onions, garlic, and the like. 

3 comments:

  1. LOL, the plants have taken over. I have 4 amaryllis on my kitchen counter that I need to find a place for.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only one indoor plant! I must confess that I'd rather be tending plants outside than inside. That said, I'm really tempted to try hoya after learning more about those. Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just Googled images of hoya to see if it's wax plant. Years ago, I grew a variegated one with some pink in it, if my memory serves me well. I had grow lights at the time. I clicked on the photo that looked close to the one I grew, and it was someone's blog from 8/17/05. Cool!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.