Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Wildflower Wednesday

We had record rainfall in the spring, and then very hot temperatures with high heat indexes, which made getting out into the garden more of a challenge this season.  The time sure has slipped by, too, and now that the days are getting shorter, I am feeling sad, and trying to get out as much as I can.  Barring that, I open the front door and look to see if there are any insect visitors on the flowers. 

Here is my post for Wildflower Wednesday, hosted by Gail, of Clay and Limestone.  I like the way she highlights flowers, giving information about them  I can't seem to find just one or two for a post, so I usually end up showing many of the native/wildflowers that are blooming.

The Illinois bundleflowers have just started blooming in the last couple of days.  I love the plants for the foliage and cool looking seedheads, which turn brown in the fall.


I think this is a bee of some kind that has found one of the blooms.


I love the native clematis pitcheri, and am thankful I have them in two spots.


The wild senna plants have been loaded with pollinators the last few days.


I trimmed back some plants, like this monarda fistula, so they would be bushier and less floppy.  This also caused a delay in blooming.  It's good to see they are now blooming.


This is Euphorbia, I think, corollata.  It is hard to photograph, but is one I wish I had more of this time of year.  I love the many little white blooms on them.


The hoary vervain given to me by a friend who has real prarie is almost finished blooming, but still looking good.


I got the prairie petunias started before I knew what they were.  There were some on the property where we built our church, and I liked them, so brought some home.  They self sow well, and I like the places they show up.


Usually, there are lots of insects feeding on plants, such as this short toothed mountain mint  There have been a few this year, but not as many as usual.


Black eyed susans and this ironweed have been blooming for a few days.  Some of the ironweeds are still in bud.


The gray headed coneflowers are not getting as many visitors as usual, but  I am glad there are some.


I've mentioned that I watch our granddaughter 4 days a week.  She turned a year the end of June.  I am thankful she loves looking at the flowers and insects.  She'll point, and say, "Pretty!"  We spent a few minutes yesterday looking at the multitudes of tiny black insects of some kind on the rattlesnake master blooms.  At least they are getting some activity, but then, not as much as usual, either.


Most of the liatris blooms are open, but the aspera and some others are still in bud.  I was glad to see a skipper today.


I was pleased to see what I think is a black swallowtail butterfly going to each clump of golden alexanders, hopefully, depositing eggs.  It was hard to get a photo, but I did manage to get a good shot of its shadow near the mountain mint that may have self sown, and be a cross between different ones here.


Gene, from a Facebook group, Gardening with Nature in Mind, told me these are gray-headed coneflowers when I posted them, thinking they were something different.  When I tried to remember what I thought they may be, I looked around on the internet, and finally figured it out, that yellow coneflowers, Ratibida pinnata are the same thing as gray headed coneflowers.  Here I already had enough to divide, but bought more, thinking they were something different.  I guess learning the scientific names is a good idea. These are in the bed across from where the others are.  I have also been adding other plants from across the sidewalk so that they look like a large planting area separated by the front sidewalk, so these will be fine here.


Since I mentioned Ruby, I thought I'd share a photo of her enjoying some dirt.


Some of the people in our Gardening with Nature in Mind are having some difficulty with one or a few neighbors due to their choice of gardening with prairie plants.  I hope people will become more in tune with nature one of these days and be thankful for neighbors who garden with native plants.  I hope none of you are experiencing problems like that.

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful assortment of wildflowers!
    The young gardener is so cute!
    Happy Wildflower Wednesday!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue
    I'm so glad to see you getting your granddaughter involved in gardening. Being out in nature is the very best thing for a child.

    Love all your beautiful blooms.....especially the rattlesnake master and the prairie petunias. I love self sowers and always look forward to seeing where nature decides to plant therm!
    Have a wonderful week

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved plants and gardens from a very early age, some of my earliest memories, and looking at butterflies and hummingbird moths, so I enjoyed seeing your granddaughter playing in the dirt. Your garden is looking wonderful in bloom. I find it a little sad to pass the equinox and have the days getting shorter again too. But it's nice to enjoy the flowers and vegetables getting ripe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, yes, we are on the downhill side of the growing season. Tomatoes, green peppers, and cucumbers are starting to mature. Green beans are definitely ready to be picked. The potatoes are starting to dry up and the onions are absolutely delightful. I've been thinking about planting the fall garden soon. More radishes, lettuce, and perhaps some cabbage.

    Your yards are always such a delight to see. I suspect neighbors in my area wouldn't be too excited about a yard like yours. I keep my gardening confined to the back yard. I do have to rejuvenate a flower bed on the west side of my house. It's about 2 1/2 feet deep and runs the width of the house. Probably about 20 feet long. The tired old Iris have all but given up the ghost. It really needs to be freshened up and have a new look after 10 years of being an Iris bed. It gets about four hours of direct sun and maybe a couple more of indirect sun. It probably won't happen this year but I'm beginning the research as to what to replace the Iris with.

    Have a great doorway viewing day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so delighted to have found your blog through Flower Lady. You are my kind of gardener; I love wild and crazy cottage gardens that bloom with abandon, as your blog header testifies. Smashing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue. Sounds like you're having to deal with the sort of weather we have all summer in Texas - hot and humid. It does make it a challenge to get out in the garden. Especially when the camera lens fogs up! I love all the different flowers you have Sue. I really need to get more variety in my garden. I keep promising myself... next year... next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just adore coming to see your natives which are different than mine....and the swallowtail is amazing....I hope some laid a few eggs on my Alexanders..

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a joyful post, and you're so fortunate to have a granddaughter helping you with your garden. :) Love the Rattlesnake Master! I've noticed that the Monarda species (many in full bloom now here) are especially popular with native bees at the height of their activity in mid-summer. Lovely post, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always enjoy seeing your prairie plants and the pollinators that love them! I've had more pollinators than ever this year, even thought you are having fewer. Isn't that odd?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I learned the name gray-headed coneflower first, and then I heard them called yellow coneflowers and thought they were something different, too. Names of plants sure can get confusing at times; I guess that's why the botanical names make sense. Always a treat to see all your natives blooming, Sue. I wish I had had time to join in this month, because this is the time of year when the natives really take off here. Can your granddaughter be one year old already?? Time sure flies--what a cutie and how wonderful that you can share your love of nature with her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous spot! I've always wanted to go to Nebraska: your garden is certainly a good testimony! It's really wonderful to see all the plants for wildlife, especially in summer when they need us!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.